Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On Creative Process

I was just thinking about explaining why things work in a concept and how I tend to go too far thinking about that sort of thing.  I get stuck explaining why something's sensible, or worrying about "why is this designed that way?  That doesn't make any sense.  No reasonable person would ever design something like this."

For instance, in this image from "the Skillful Huntsman", I first thought, why would they have a crap-load of little balloons like that?  Why not have a couple giant envelopes like an airship?  Why tether them that way with blankets strapped over them?"

An answer came quickly as soon as I asked this to myself.  In this world, it is difficult to manufacture the envelopes for the balloons, so they make them smallish and can only make them one at a time.

There's plenty of room for "yes but--"ing this.  Yes but they could have several plants to manufacture them.  Yes but, they could wait and manufacture one big one.  Yes but--  And then you don't get anywhere.

My point is, a simple answer thought of quickly is often good enough.  Often our gut reactions are the best and truest, many times yielding good results.  Over-thinking and ignoring the impulsive, feeling side of our creative selves can slow things down and get in the way.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment