Saturday, December 10, 2011

Vintage Cartoon Backgrounds: How To

I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, Daffy and Donald Duck, Tom and Jerry, and all the old great cartoons that they won't put on TV anymore because of cats chasing mouses with shotguns.  I loved the look of these old cartoons, particularly the sort of graphic style they had in the title cards and background work.  Maurice Noble is incredible in his sense of composition and rendering.

I wanted to try to achieve this older style look and found a way that's not bad.  I'll update as I improve it. 

I took a sample of the texture of one of those old paintings in photoshop, and made it a pattern preset, after turning it greyscale.  Then I filled the entire scene with the pattern, and set it to color dodge in the blend mode.  It achieves the look pretty convincingly, and only lightens values and colors a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment